Sunday, March 22, 2009

There Were Crows


For the past three winters, a family group of 6 crows has come to visit outside my classroom everyday I am there, sometime in the early afternoon. They may come when I'm not there, also, I don't know for sure.

Lately, instead of the big group, individuals or pairs come. I can't tell if any of them are from this family group or not. Crows are all black, feathers, feet, claws and beak. I haven't yet learned how to distinguish individuals.

Most of the symbology of crows is negative, especially the European influence. I prefer to look at the positive. Crows are messengers, symbols of wisdom, or harbingers of good fortune. Maybe some gold for me.


One Crow Sorrow
Two Crows Joy
Three Crows a Wedding
Four Crows a Boy
Five crows Silver
Six Crows Gold
Seven Crows a Secret
Never to be told.

2 comments:

  1. The crow family came to visit yesterday. I don't need to look at significance or symbology. They were just being friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved crows and, in spite of folklore, they have never seemed sinister but rather playful and even jolly. Did you know they use tools and employ babysitters? It's true. Crow & Raven parents will often engage the services of younger, unpaired birds to help watch the nestlings. It's said they also hold funeral gatherings when a bird in their social circle dies. There's a book about ravens, crows and jays entitled "Bird Brains." (Can't recall the author/publisher, sorry.) You might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete