Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Love A Challenge



I have decided to join the Creative Everyday Challenge.

January's theme is Body.

That's a particularly apt theme for me, as I am training for a long bike tour. This summer Joe and I plan on biking from our house in upstate NY to Key West. We've never done anything like this; we have never even been to the Keys. But I have always wanted to go on adventures during my summers and never have. And I'm not getting any younger. So when Joe came up with this idea, it took me less than 2 seconds to agree.

So back to the theme. I want to creatively encourage my body to be stronger, leaner, and healthier everyday (more then just the month of January) so that I can enjoy our trip (without being a trembling collection of wimpy, sore muscles for the first little while).

Each week during the winter, I'm planning on doing the weight circuit (cybex), spinning (+core and stretch), yoga, and swimming. That's exercising 4 times, a week to begin. I'll add more as the weather improves and our departure date nears. I know the tour will end up training me, and that to begin with my distances will be shorter than I hope for, and I will be more sore and tired than I can imagine right now. But at least I'm preparing.

Along with exercise, I am going to become more diligent with self care, like flossing, vitamins, good nutrition, massage, and skin care.

And what does all this have to do with being creative? I hope, with a stronger, healthier, and better maintained body, there will be more energy for creativity.

7 comments:

  1. Patti, Good luck with your training regime. That sounds like quite an adventure for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biking all the way down to Key West, how thrilling! I hope you'll tell us more about this plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's really impressive. My goal to make my left leg as strong as my right one now seems quite wimpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riding a bike to Florida? I just made a resolution never to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think that's awesome patti. it's one of those things that will define your life, you will never forget it.
    be sure, too, to practice riding a bike- ride to the next town, and then the town after that. you'll use different muscles than you'll use spinning or swimming.
    and i envy you for having a goal. it's ambitious, and more than a little scary. and dangerous. you'll be challenged for sure.
    do you belong to a biking group? this is a good time to join one.
    and of course, you're going to find all kinds of creativeness in your endeavor. take your camera and take lots of notes.
    and think of how much stronger your relationship with joe will be.
    awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete