Monday, October 19, 2009

Tour of the Classroom, part 1

After teaching 2nd grade for 11 years (if you count that 1 year at the christian school (which made me agree with Gandhi ("I like your Christ, but I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are not much like your Christ." or something like that.)), I was moved to 5th grade social studies. This position is far more intellectually vigorous and far less manual labor intensive. I'm enjoying the new challenges. A lot.

Of course I had to move classrooms, which gave me the opportunity to get rid of most of my crap and start new.




Here's what my desk looks like most days around lunch time. The piles move fast and will be gone by the end of the day.



Here's what my desk looked like just before the school year started. I made a cover for my grade book. And a cover for my iPhone. (The trim on my iPhone cover is from and old pair of flip flops.)

I will probably be moving to a brand new classroom in midwinter. New 5th grade classrooms are part of our school's capital improvement program.

Themes for this year are:

Beauty.
Own it.
Only hang on to useful stuff.
Light, space, and air are the most important interior design elements.

3 comments:

  1. I love all your themes for the year - in particular, #2.
    And both desk photos appeal to me - together, they show the day's accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying the change. After student teaching 8 weeks in first grade I am now in 5th. I love it--no more sitting on the floor!

    ReplyDelete