Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween At My House, 2009

I can tell you how to grow a bunch of field pumpkins. Those are the big, hollow, jack-o-lantern pumpkins. The ones sold at grocery stores for a ton of money, but they're no good for eating.

I drive by a field on my way to work. This time of year it is standing fallow with abandoned, left over pumpkins.

In the spring, you just plow the weeds under, no need to be too careful. Plant the seeds. Let them grow. Come back a few weeks before Halloween and pick as many as your crates can hold and truck can haul. Leave the rest for the deer.

We bought seven pumpkins at .30 a pound. Did I ever mention that we do Halloween in a big way at my house?

In my wild youth, I would worry about wasting food, and would make pies and soup from the jack-o-lanterns after Halloween. Then I realized they weren't food grade.

I do roast the seeds. Just pull as much of the guts off as you can, plop them in a roasting pan, salt them, and roast at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes.



I also make broth from the guts. Put them in a pan, cover with water, simmer for a couple hours. Strain.



I did make curry pumpkin soup from the eyes, noses, and mouths of the seven jack-o-lanterns we carved. I put 3 carrots and a sweet potato in for color and flavor.



One of the seven.



And my favorite trick or treaters. That's my mom's friend Marge, Joe, and my mom. Aren't they precious? Mom and Marge went to a party dressed as carpenter partners. Joe went out with his friends dressed as a fox in pajamas. (I made the ears, Joe thinks I should sell them on etsy.)



We had more than 250 trick or treaters, and each got a fun size candy bar and a couple of star bursts. I had to turn the lights out and hide after 7:30. Next year I'll be prepared for 300, and I'm handing out pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment