Saturday, November 28, 2009

We Are Star Stuff

harvesting star light. ~Carl Sagan

The basis for menu planning and groceries used to be to spend as little as possible. Now, with a kid with health issues, I've made the switch to organic. This is easy and cheap in the summer, but as winter approaches it gets a little complicated.

The first thing I do when writing a shopping list and planning the week's meals is to check what I have. The left over turkey and the turkey stock is in the freezer. (I simmered the carcass for over 8 hours, and it did not fall apart. Maybe because it was a heritage, organic, pasture raised turkey?) I have sweet potatoes, celery and rutabaga. There is also a half bushel of butternut squash bought from a farm stand. And there are the last of the tomatoes, picked green and ripened on the counter top. And there is the last of the mystery squash from a volunteer vine. (We get lots of volunteers from the compost; gourds, pumpkins, squash, melons, tomatoes, potatoes, and more.)


There are also leeks,



chard, parsley, carrots,



sage, and broccoli in the garden.



I decided to roast the squash and make stock from the seeds and guts. That went in the freezer with the turkey for sometime in the future when we are not tired of turkey and squash leftovers.
Then, I tried to make good use of what's in the garden for this week's menu plan.

Sunday: Chili (vegetarian for me, with ground bison for the kid)

Monday: Salmon fillets (baked with ginger, lemon, and garlic), broccoli, sweet potatoes, and carrots

Tuesday: Split pea soup with leeks and chard, whole wheat dinner rolls

Wednesday: Burgers (bison for the kid, veggie for me), chard (again!), sauteed with garlic and olive oil, and rutabaga

Thursday: Out to the Mexican Restaurant

Friday: Homemade pizza, carrot sticks, celery sticks and tomato slices

Saturday: Yellow daal and butternut squash curry soup

Shopping List:
ground bison (the only red meat the kid eats is pasture raised bison and lamb)
veggie burgers
wild caught salmon
lemon
olives
milk (soy for me, organic 2% for the kid)
pizza cheese
onions
fruit (for snacks)
celery
lunch stuff
yogurt
coffee
herbal tea
eggs
cat food
drain cleaner

Baking list:
sandwich bread
cookies (for lunches)

The planning is done until next week.

2 comments:

  1. The next time I serve salmon fillets, they will be baked with ginger, lemon and garlic. Thanks.
    I like your realistic expectation of a restaurant meal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, chard. I am not sure I remember what it tastes like but it just has a nice sound to it.

    ReplyDelete