Monday, November 23, 2009

Tour of the Classroom


Part 3, the Student Teacher

Though it's a ton of work and responsibility, I try to have a student teacher every couple of years. Because someone was willing to do it for me, and I'm still grateful for that.
Here are some things that have come up so far:

Always be prepared.
Always be flexible when your preparations don't work.
Don't yell. Ever.
Don't take it personally.
If you have an issue with a colleague, talk to the colleague. Right away.
Instead of correcting the students, ask them questions.
Planned ignoring is good discipline.
Be punctual.

This one is really good. She's smart, she thinks on her feet, she's not afraid to learn from the kids.

I wonder if she will remember me as she works with her student teachers?

1 comment:

  1. My sister loves her student teacher - with a class of 14 special needs students (and no special ed training) she is oh-so-grateful for his presence.
    Glad to hear you've got a good one.

    ReplyDelete